Research ICT Africa conducts research on digital policy and regulation that facilitates evidence-based policy making for improved access, use and application of ICT for sustainable development in Africa and in the Global South and we are looking for a data scientist to join our team!
This is a great opportunity for an individual interested in creating a space for themselves with a dynamic and diverse team to play with the wealth of structured and unstructured real world, survey, prices, and internet measurements data to more effectively drive the public interest research to policy influence.
Key responsibilities of the job current envisaged are (but open to suggestions)
Drive individual and team research outputs from conceptualization to delivery (include data pre-processing/cleaning, data analysis/modeling, visualization, and presentation of findings).
- Apply (or develop if necessary) tools and pipelines to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare high volumes of data for analysis.
- Develop statistical models to uncover insights from mashups of real-world big data, internet measurements, survey data, and prices data.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team.
- Publish and present research findings at local and international conferences and forums.
- Experience in developing & deploying large-scale data science applications, portal development and data management.
- Expertise in DDL, DML, DCL for manipulating, control, and analysing data from large databases.
- Professional competence in one or more tools such as STATA, SPSS or R for statistical analysis.
- Substantial experience working as a Data Scientist with software engineering experience will be an advantage (Python, Java)
- Experience working with development toolsets such as Spark, Hadoop, Python, Java, Scala, Cloudera, Cassandra, Docker, Azure/AWS/Google Cloud, MYSQL, MongoDB, NOSQL
- Understanding of cognitive analytics, data science, machine learning
- Familiarity with SQL/NoSQL data sources and tools (R, MATLAB, Spark, SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop)
- Experience in data visualization tools and techniques or the management of outsourced implementation of them on data projects
Minimum requirements – B.S. in related field with 3+ year’s experience applying statistical and/or data mining techniques to real social and/or business problems, while meeting required technical skills. Preferred – M.S. in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Applied Social Sciences or related field. Interdisciplinary/policy research experience an advantage.
Send your CV (including list of relevant projects) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Research ICT Africa Cape Town Office
Start date: As soon as possible